[vtkusers] vtk4.4 on MacOSX 10.4 64-bit build

Budd Hirons bhiron at lsuhsc.edu
Tue May 31 14:45:29 EDT 2005

Hello,

We are trying to build vtk4.4 as a 64-bit library for handling
multi-gigabyte volume datasets in a server process on MacOSX Tiger
XServes, and the general sense on the list for 64 bit builds (all AMD64
as I can see... ) it to not build vtkRendering, but we have run into
dependencies in vtkParallel... and lacking openGL64 on MacOSX...

We tried moving the pieces of vtkParallel into a separate vtkLocal-like
project, classes like the socket communications and so on and everything
was working fine, till we hit an unexpected dependency,
vtkMemoryLimitImageDataStreamer depends on vtkPipelineSize depends on
vtkPolyDataMapper.

So we have a couple of questions :

1. Does anyone have an implementation of vtkPipelineSize that doesn't
rely on a vtkRendering component?

2. Has anyone extended vtkImageDataStreamer (which as far as we can tell
does not rely on vtkRendering) differently to do this kind of work?

3. Has anyone built vtk on Tiger with GCC 4.0?  Can anyone give us any
advice?

Cheers,
Budd.