[vtkusers] VTK not compiling on OSX Tiger

Nono BEZMan nonobezman at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 04:29:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

For the last 3 months I have been trying to make VTK
work (or even simply compile) with Java wrapping on
OSX.... to no avail.

I went thru changing the carbonWindowRef to cgWindowID
in vtkJavaAwt.h, trying to use Cocoa not Carbon (which
yield a bus error), modifying the
'CMakeDefaultMakeRuleVariables' to avoid the bug with
g++ 4.0, etc... but so far no VTK / Java on OSX.

Now I have reinstalled my system with Tiger, and just
got the new CVS (since I need a version of VTK >=
1.4.5 as previous versions fail to load some of my
.obj files, as well as do not render Gouraud shading
properly).

Well, when I try to compile it, I have the following
error:

Building object file vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.o...
/Users/arnaudtellier/Documents/Development/VTK/Rendering/vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.cxx:
In member function `int
vtkParallelCoordinatesActor::PlaceAxes(vtkViewport*,
int*)':
/Users/arnaudtellier/Documents/Development/VTK/Rendering/vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.cxx:465:
error: expected unqualified-id before '=' token
/Users/arnaudtellier/Documents/Development/VTK/Rendering/vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.cxx:490:
error: expected unqualified-id before '=' token
make[3]: *** [vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

I am begin to be more and more deperate as new
problems arise each time. I really need OSX + Java for
my project to use VTK, and I just feel that my
frustation will eventually drive me away from an
otherwise great toolkit.

At this point, I will welcome any hints, or IF ANYBODY
miraculously managed to get a compiled version of VTK
(shared libraries) with JAVA wrapper (1.4.5 or
above).... I'll just take it.

Thank you in advance for ANY help.