[vtkusers] Mesh Simplification

Dai Qiang dqreg at yahoo.com.cn
Wed May 18 21:15:03 EDT 2005

Hi Randall,

Try vtkDecimate or vtkDecimatePro to simplify the mesh.

Qiang

Randall Hand <randall.hand at gmail.com> 写道:
I have a mesh that contains something on the order of ~1.5billion triangles.  It's simply too large to manage, and frankly most of it is redundant.  It's a map of a city, so it contains alot of co-planar triangles that create walls of buildings or streets.  So ideally, I think, I want a Decimation filter that combines triangles sharing an edge with similar or equivalent normals.  Does such a filter exist?

Also, can someone shed on light on how to do "streaming data" with this?  Obviously, it's going to be difficult getting this all into memory at once.  I'm currently using a vtkDataSetReader to read it in (VTK Legacy Format), which takes approximately an hour & 8gig of RAM to read the file.. (I've since switched to a vtkPolyDataReader, but haven't been able to re-run it yet).

--
Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist