[vtkusers] VTK4.4 and MATLAB R14SP2

dhanesh ramachandram dhaneshr at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 21:41:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to set up my system such that I could
access VTK functions through MATLAB. There is a
wonderful document prepared by
Dr.John Anast detailing the installation procedure
which is available
from http://www.cns.bu.edu/~speech/VTK.php.
However, this document dates three years ago and
supports the then, JRE1.3.1 and MATLABR13.  Since
then, not only has MATLAB been updated to R14SP2, it
also uses JRE1.5.0 as the default Java Runtime.

In any case, I had followed his instructions to the
dot. From the Windows XP command window, I find
that Java wrapping is working as I am able to
succesfully execute SimpleVTK.
However, when I try to run the any of the  m-file
examples provided by Dr.Anast, such as cone.m, I
notice that Matlab fails to locate vtkPanel.class and
vtkMatlab.class though the respective classpaths were
defined both as a CLASSPATH environment variable as
well in classpath.txt in $MATLAB_ROOT/toolbox/local.

Why doesn't MATLAB see these classes ? I am baffled!
Is there anyone who has succeeded in intergrating VTK
and the current MATLAB in recent months ?

Many thanks.