[vtkusers] How does one enforce recognition of little endian data in VTK?

Sanatan Sahgal sanatan_sahgal at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 15:30:39 EDT 2005

Again, I am not using a VTK reader/importer classes. I do not want to use
these classes because they do not fulfill the needs of my application.

As explained in my original post, I set the data to VTK in the following
manner:

I am using the vtkImageData class. I feed data to the imageData
instance as follows:
imageData->GetPointData()->SetScalars(pixelArrayVtk);

The pixelArrayVtk instance is of type vtkDataArray and it is
setup as follows:
pixelArrayVtk = CreateVtkDataArray(); //Creates instance of
specific VtkDataArray type. Example: vtkShortArray::New()
pixelArrayVtk->SetVoidArray(imageRawData, totalSamples, 1);

The imageRawData parameter is a pointer to the memory location
which contains the raw image data in little endian format.

VTK expects this raw image data to be big endian for some reason. According
to your response it should be happy with the little endian format. But, it
is not! If the data is in big endian format I see the correct image on the
screen. If it is in little endian format I do not see a meaningful image on
the screen. The issue is that one would expect the opposite to be true
because I am working on an Intel platform which has the native format of
little endian byte ordering!

Are you saying that there is a compile time option which will tell VTK the
native byte ordering (without using any of the reader/importer classes). If
so, what is that compile time option and how does one set it?

-Sanatan