[vtkusers] Compilers on Windows XP

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Sun Mar 27 12:31:37 EST 2005

On Monday, 28 March 2005 DAVID EDWARD JONES wrote

> I have previously used VTK, primarily on IRIX systems.  Now I'm
> starting to use VTK on a Windows XP platform and I'm very uniformed
> about available C++ compilers.  There seem to be a lot of alternatives
> with names like "Visual C++ 6.0", "Visual Studio .NET 2003", etc...
>
> My question is "What should I buy and where can I get it?"

Recent evolution of MSC:
-------------------------------------
  [pre-1998]
  Visual C++ 6.0
  Visual C++ 6.0 / SP 1 [~1998]
  Visual C++ 6.0 / SP 2 [~1999]
  Visual C++ 6.0 / SP 3 [~2000]
  Visual C++ 6.0 / SP 4 [~2000]
  Visual C++ 6.0 / SP 5 [~2001] <-- High point #1
  Visual Studio .NET 2002       <-- Not so high
  Visual Studio .NET 2003       <-- High point #2
-------------------------------------
Free to download
  [Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta]
Upcomming
  [Visual Studio 2005]

Students can buy the (full-strength) academic version for little
more than the cost of the User Guides and CDs.  Visual C++ 2005
beta version can be downloaded for free:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx

best wishes,
Nigel

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that
any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information
in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport. Visit www.ausport.gov.au