[vtkusers] VTK or OpenGL directly?

ALIZIER Julien AUSY julien.alizier-ausy at irsn.fr
Tue Mar 22 06:55:06 EST 2005

Julian,

> Yeah, I looked at Paraview last week but seem to remember that it was an
app
> in its own right?

Right, Paraview is a full application. I was pointing this in case you don't

really have to write your own viewer. It uses VTK so it is a good start to
see
what VTK can do.

> Plus I want to support Windows and as a bonus, want to use VB if poss.

It works flawless on Windows (I am developping plugins for it with VC++)
and also on Linux and Solaris.
I don't have any ideas on how to use VTK from VB.

> We already have code to write FEA data to vtk files - BTW what codes do
you
> support?

Well, so if yo have vtk files, have you tried to load them into ParaView?
If you don't really need a special application then you're done!

> We have written for Algor, Ansys, I-Deas, and are working on FEMAP,
Patran.
> Perhaps we could share documentation???

I am supporting a code that is very specific. Thank for the offer anyway.

Just to get an idea, it took me 3 weeks to write a simple plugin to
ParaView/VTK
in C++ (the ParaView book did not exist at this time) and nearly 2 months
to really understand what was going on underneath my VTK code (quite a while
but it was worth the effort!).

-- Julien