[vtkusers] Ghost level in VtkUnstructuredGrid

Gerard Gorman g.gorman at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 07:30:40 EST 2005

I hope someone will contradict me if I'm wrong here because I don't
think the documentation is clear on this point.

Ghost levels are used with distributed datasets - e.g. when you have
partitioned your big unstructured mesh into a number of smaller ones.
You might have done this if you were running a parallel finite element
model for example. If you use vtk's distributed file format for
unstructured meshes then you presumably have a .pvtu file. Ghost levels
define how much these partitions overlap and this will be defined in the
.pvtu file. Other terms you hear are "ghost/halo cells/nodes". The
ambiguity for me lies in the fact that there are two different ways to
define a mesh partitioning - one can either partition the nodes of the
mesh or partition the elements of a mesh. When nodes are partitioned
then one counts the layers of elements that overlap between meshes. When
elements are partitioned then one counts the layers of nodes that
overlap. So what exactly level means in vtk depends on how vtk has
defined partitioning.

Hopefully someone will clarify this for us - if no one does then I'd
suggest you ask the same question on the paraview mailing list.

Cheers