[vtkusers] vtkImplicitDataSet and vtkCutter

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Tue Mar 15 15:14:34 EST 2005

Hi Hanna,

Hanna Jonsson <hanjo013 at student.liu.se> wrote on 15/03/2005 01:22:54:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to cut one dataset (air) with another dataset
> (ground+2meters). Then I want to map the scalars of the large
> dataset to the smaller one. So that I get a small dataset coloured
> by the scalars from the larger one.
>
> I tried with
> 1.vtkImplicitDataSet and vtkCutter
> 2.vtkImplicitModeller, vtkContourFilter and vtkPolyDataNormals

   vtkImplicitModeller is a good way to get an offset (+2m) from a polydata
(ground). The scalar values it creates are the distance to the surface.
vtkContourFilter with a value of 2 (m) would give a polydata surface at
plus AND minus 2 (the 'minus' surface might be a problem).
To colour this surface with values from the larger dataset use
vtkProbeFilter SetInput = air (data set to be probed) SetSource = ground+2m
(dataset to probe with). You could then use vtkPolyDataNormals, mapper etc
to visualise.

   see how that goes
   Dave P