[vtkusers] vtk4.4 DICOM

Jeremy Winston jbw at ieee.org
Thu Mar 10 05:53:43 EST 2005

Aris Basic wrote:

> i tryed converthing a Medica2.tcl example to work with set of dicom
> files but it seams like its not working
> it only displays one image (it actualy very slow in comming up with the
> display)

You have to be careful--not all companies' DICOM
implementations are created equal.

In order to use vtkDICOMImageReader on a stack of
images generated by a Siemens machine in their
Somatom5 format, I first had to rename each slice
file using ezDICOM
http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/cr1/ezdicom.html
since the Siemens software seems to pick file names
out of the air -- i.e., they're not ordered in any
obvious way.

> so i was wondering is there a way to manually load each needed image for
> volume rendering ?

Souldn't be necessary; you should be able to point
vtkDICOMImageReader to the directory containing the
files and it sucks up all the files for you.

vtkDICOMImageReader vd
   vd SetDirectoryName "C:/Path/To/Your/DICOM/Files/"

HTH,
-Jeremy