[vtkusers] Polyhedral Cells

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Sun Mar 6 12:43:19 EST 2005

Kent Eschenberg wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> --On March 06, 2005 10:41:18 AM <jeff at cdnorthamerica.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a face-based format for the cell description?  If the cells are
>> all nonconvex, they can be tetrahedralized (tessellated) and vtk can
>> deal
>> with the tets.  If there are any convex cells, then you'll need to diy.
>> Right now vtk doesn't deal with face-based cells, but I could see it
>> being done.
>

> We can convert the polyhedrals to tetrahedrals but would prefer to
> avoid that. VTK can be extended to new cell types but its a lot of work.

Yes, alot of work, but will probably be your only option.  I believe
that tetrahedralization only works reliably if the cells are convex.
vtk has a cell type called vtkConvexPointSet which would work if you
could ensure that the cells are actually convex.  It actually does a
delaunay tetrahedralization on the cell points (it holds a collection of
tets for you).  If you have any concave cells, then this will fail to
recover the actual polyhedron boundaries.  I think that it is next to
impossible to guarantee nonconvex cells when doing cfd, therefore a
face-based approach is the right one.  this means alot of work - first
defining a cell type, second making sure the filters you want will work
with face-based information.  Since most algorithms work on a per-cell
basis, you will get more than 50% there by implementing the new cell
type.  Other filters which specialize on vtkUnstructuredGrid will have
to be modified.

>> Are these polyhedra the result of the "dual" of a tet mesh?  What solver
>> are you using?
>

> The polyhedrals result from dynamic mesh refinement. We are replacing
> a home-grown solver with an open source solver. OpenFOAM is one we are
> considering. However, the choice of output file format is a seperate
> issue - we'll rewrite the output code in the solver as needed.

Are we talking about completely arbitrary polys, or things like "hex
with corner cut" - i.e. can the polys be characterized as modifications
to existing cell-types?
-Jeff