[vtkusers] Interpolating between scalars on a polydata surface

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jun 29 17:17:03 EDT 2005

 <PDELIKEGAHECAHLPECJDAEDOCBAA.kwilson at imaging.robarts.ca>"Kevin Wilson" writes:
<snip>
>So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to interpret scalars on a
>polydata surface when only a few are defined? or does anyone know how to
>create a surface from a set of points but based on the shape of another
>surface?

It sounds like you want to obtain a continuous function from a discrete
one? Not sure if I'm answering the right question.

re: interpolating scalars, this is probably \emph{not} what you're
looking for per se, but look at vtkInterpolateDataSetAttributes:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkInterpolateDataSetAttributes.html

The reason I say its probably not what you want is because the
interpolation model for that object is to take two datasets with the
same grid setup, and interpolate their data. Sounds like you have one
dataset.

re: 'surface based on set': Try vtkExtractGrid:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkExtractGeometry.html

of course, you'll need some sort of dataset to be extracting from.
perhaps you could coerce your set of points into an unstructured grid
first.

-tom