[vtkusers] information on pci express graphics cards compatibility

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:27:25 EDT 2005

 <02B0B221F71925499396626DEAE714754A6CFE at medsrv.med.upatras.gr>"George Kagadis,
 PhD" writes:
> I can not find any piece of information regarding the compatibility with
> the new pci express graphics cards.

VTK uses opengl under the hood. It will be compatible with any card
which supports accelerated OpenGL.
There are also some volume rendering cards that, IIRC, are used by VTK
directly... not sure on that though.

>Which pci express graphics card do you recommend (that will work fine in
>linux and with vtk applications)?

On a linux machine, I would stick to nvidia or ATI. I've personally
never used ATI's products so I can't comment on them, but nvidia is
pretty good about drivers / support.
Just my $0.02 though.

-tom

>------_=_NextPart_001_01C57C7C.51F7F600
<snip>

please, PLEASE do not send HTML mail, \emph{especially} when its just a
copy of your existing text message.