[vtkusers] vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter on sparse point sets

Tim Raupach tim.raupach at nicta.com.au
Tue Jun 28 01:27:15 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to create a surface mesh from a point cloud, but I'm having
some difficulties. The surface is created nicely and looks correct in
the centre, but it extends somewhat past the region where the points
end. It appears like a flat surface that has had the object represented
by the pointset pushed into it, leaving trailing edges.

I think the problem is because the point clouds we are working with are
very sparse and not closed - I read in an archived post that
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter requires a closed surface to work
properly. Is that the case? If so, are there other filters that I might
be able to look into using?

The pipeline I am using is like the example given in the VTK user's
guide for vtk 4.4:

vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter
vtkContourFilter
vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter
vtkPolyDataNormals

Please let me know if you know of other surface reconstruction filters
that might work better with an un-closed surface.

Thanks very much for your help,

Tim

--
Tim Raupach