[vtkusers] [Re] vtk 4.2 (carbon) on MacOS X Tiger doesn't work

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Jun 27 11:45:23 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-23 15:54, Nono BEZMan said:

>I have tried to compile cvs VTK with Tiger (and Java
>wrapping) for months now to no avail.
>
>Your comments brought hope, but unfortunately I am
>stuck again with one of the old bugs coming from using
>gcc 4.0 (your message suggested that it should have
>compiled fine with gcc 4.0, so I remove the hack from
>CMakeDefaultMakeRuleVariables.cmake):
>
>/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc.a(_divdi3.o)
>private external definition of ___divdi3 in section
>(__TEXT,__text)
>/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_s.dylib(_divdi3.o)
>definition of ___divdi3
>

>I will try to change the
>CMakeDefaultMakeRuleVariables.cmake again (and add the
>
>AND NOT APPLE hack) to where I go, but I do think I
>will be stuck with a bunch of compile error again.
>
>Sean, if you happen to have some libs for Mac (of the
>cvs version), using Carbon (and hopefully Java), I'll
>take them as I am quite desperate to see anything work
>on Mac any day soon.
>
>Otherwise, how do you precisely go about compiling it
>under Tiger: do you midify the vtkJavaAwt.h, the
>CMakeDefaultMakeRuleVariables.cmake, etc..????

With the code currently in CVS (ok, mine is a couple of weeks old) I
didn't have to do anything special to make it build.  I didn't change
any code or change any .cmake files or anything.  It seems the big
difference between what we are doing is that I'm not doing any Java.  I
guess there must be some problems with the vtk java stuff on the Mac,
but I'm afraid I don't know Java, so can't help much. :(

If you want, I could build you the code I have with the Carbon support
on, but without java.  mail me off list.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com