[vtkusers] saving memory for XML writers?

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:25:24 EDT 2005

It sounds like you open the file and load each datapoint into memory.
Once the file has been completely read, you then create the grid and
store the data.  If that's the case, you may be able to improve your
performance by trying something along the lines of what I haev done:
(note: this is for a structuredgrid, for rectilinear grid you will
need to set the spacing arrays, obviously)
1.  Scan file to detemine dimensions of my grid
2.  Create grid, set dimensions
3.  Create point array, set dimensions
4.  Scan file, insert each point using its proper integer offset
	vtkPoints::InsertPoint (vtkIdType id, const float x[3])

This way vtk manages all of the memory for the grid, while you only
manage memory for one datapoint at a time.

Does that help?
-Pete