[vtkusers] OSX Freeze w/ VTK + Java Wrapping

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jun 21 17:35:55 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-21 14:53, thornton at thunderheadeng.com said:

>I have Java Wrapping working for the most part on OSX (v 10.4.1), but
>I'm having
>some strange system crashes.  I have included an example entry from my
>panic.log
>below.
>
>The likelihood of the crash seems to be related to the complexity of the
>scene.
>What I'm drawing amounts to a rectangular region that has been
subdivided into
>cubes (10-50 blocks).  Crashes seem to only occur during redraws and are
>particularly likely while I rotate the scene (with a mouse drag).  They
>manifest as one of: screen freezes (system unresponsive), black screen
(system
>unresponsive), or the overlay instructing me to "restart my computer" in four
>different languages.  I'm using vtk through a "vtkPanel.java" instance.
>
>To my eyes, this looks like the driver for my video card (ATI Radeon 9200) is
>the troublemaker, but that doesn't feel right since other non-VTK 3D
>applications work just fine.  I have the most recent video card
drivers.  I am
>using the v1.4.2 Java VM.

userland code like java and vtk should never be able to cause a kernel
panic like you are seeing.  In other words, there is a bug in your ATI
driver, and you should report it to Apple via Radar (<https://
bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb>), be sure to include
your panic.log and your app so they can repro it.

That said, there could also be a bug in your code that makes the ATI bug
manifest itself, but your post does not say enough for anyone to be able
to help.

Can you try your app on a different machine?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com