[vtkusers] merging multiple vtkStructuredGrid's?

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Tue Jun 21 15:15:21 EDT 2005

 <a530bfb5050620134858cbce85 at mail.gmail.com>Peter Schmitt writes:
>I am still stuck with merging two structured grids into one.  I need
<snip>

>vtkStructuredGridToStructuredGrid is used for vtkExtractGrid, so that's out.

vtkSGToSG is an abstract class IIRC. It seems to me like it might be a
good choice as a base class if you were to write your own filter for
this application.

>I looked at the source code for vtkXMLPStructuredGridReader,
>vtkXMLPStructuredGridWriter, vtkXMLStructuredGridReader,
>vtkXMLStructuredGridWriter hoping to see how to merge multiple grids
>into one large grid (the xml classes do exactly this as the XML format
>allows an individual to set pieces of data to be read in parallel).  I
>found this code confusing as far as a starting point to implement my
>own class/function to merge multiple grids into one.

<snip>

>PS:  Tom: Thanks for your help.  Since this functionality seems to be
>already available once data is stored in the vtkXMLP* format, one
>would think that it would be easy to implement directly into VTK...
>
>Making one very large structuredgrid and setting sub-sections of the
>data might be my only route as you had suggested.  I could implement
>something like:
>1. Generate data on compute-nodes
>2. Send data to one or more data-processing node that stores data in
>vtkXMLP* format
>3.  Send vtkXMLP* data to visualization nodes

Hrm, this got me thinking. What if you could make the data
\emph{appear} to be XML data, but in reality come from a socket
recv()ing from the computer nodes?

I was thinking this might be possible if you could take a
vtkXMLStructuredGridReader, and instead of invoking read/update, there
was some type of 'SetPiece' method that took a vtkStructuredGrid and
some sort of piece index... probably need some information about that
StructuredGrid's extent within the global extent, etc. too.

It doesn't look like that type of model is supported, but looking at:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkXMLStructuredDataReader.html

You \emph{might} be able to get away with deriving from
vtkXMLStructuredDataReader and overloading the ReadPiece() function
and its friends (perhaps SetupPieces, DestroyPieces, ReadSubExtent?).
After you've done that, it will \emph{hopefully} be as easy as
copy-and-paste to make a new class that has
vtkXMLStructuredGridReader's code, but derives from the class that you
have just created. Maybe a diagram is good here:

vtkXMLStructuredDataReader

vtkPeterSchmittsNetworkStructuredDataReader

vtkPeterSchmittsNetworkStructuredGridReader

If your data are already naturally setup in pieces like that, it would
be a shame to destroy the pieces in some type of merging algorithm.

In any case it sounds like a lot of work, particularly if you've never
written a VTK filter before =(. Sorry.

-tom

<snip>