[vtkusers] vtkSelectPolyData output is not what I expected

Katherine Kerekes kerekes at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 2 20:24:18 EDT 2005

I am confused about the output of vtkSelectPolyData.  According to the
documentation, either the cells laying inside the loop or outside the loop
are output.  Either way, the output of vtkSelectPolyData should be smaller
(fewer cells/points) than the input right?

But when I do this:

puts "selectPolyData number of points=[[selectPolyData GetOutput]
GetNumberOfPoints]"
puts "selectPolyData input number of points=[[selectPolyData GetInput]
GetNumberOfPoints]"

the input number of points into the vtkSelectPolyData and the output number
of points are the same.  When I visualize the output of vtkSelectPolyData, I
see what I expect (I have drawn a loop on one slice of data and only the
parts of the data that are inside my loop are visualized), but I want to
compute stats on only those points lying inside my loop.  I thought I could
use the output of vtkSelectPolyData to do this.  Is there a different class
I should use (must be able to define an irregular loop of points)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kate Kerekes