[vtkusers] using generic datasets with VTK

Andrew Foulks rafoulks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 23:33:42 EDT 2005

Hello,

It is my understanding that in the development version of VTK, there
is a framework that allows one to adapt generic datasets for use with
VTK.

I am currently working on a project in which I have access to a
dataset whose API incompatible with VTK's.  We would like to create an
Adapter that looks like a vtkDataSet, but  will forward requests for
point data to our API (so that we can use VTK's rendering algorithms
with our database).

I'm farily new to VTK...  What is the best way to get started learning
how to use the Adapter framework?  Is there any example code that
might help?  Or is this still "bleeding edge" stuff? :-)

Thanks for any help,

Andrew Foulks
University of New Hampshire