[vtkusers] Smoothing 3D-tracking data

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Fri Jul 29 14:31:19 EDT 2005

The Polhemus has a built-in smoothing filter that you can turn on and
off, if I recall.

For averaging 6DOF data, a good method is to express the orientation as
a quaternion,
convert the quaternion to a versor representation (i.e. a vector where
the direction of the
vector is the axis of rotation and the magnitude is the angle) and then
average the versors
together.  There are probably other suitable methods as well.

Any smoothing method will result in a time offset in the data, e.g. if
you average the previous 5 data
points then the smoothed data will have 2 cycle lag, which is 40
milliseconds at 50Hz.

 - David