[vtkusers] connecting vtk and itk on os x

Glen Lehmann glehmann at imaging.robarts.ca
Tue Jul 19 09:48:18 EDT 2005

Hi Will,

I guess you did a 'make install' on vtk, right?

If so, here's the problem;  vtk's .dylibs (and .sos) are built with
absolute paths.  Try this:

 >> otool -L /usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommon.dylib

and you'll see it points back to it's original build location.   My
guess is that you've moved/remove the original build location of your
vtk because normally, gcc would just link against the original libs.

Option 1 - harder

To change these paths, it's possible to hack together a csh script
based on install_name_tool (see the docs for details) or, if you are
more familiar with py2app than myself, there's probably a way to do
this using py2app's macholib.

Option 2 - easier

Alternatively, if you still have your original vtk build, you can just
point InsightApplications back to it.

HTH,
Glen