[vtkusers] Re: Noise after use of a clipping box

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Jul 18 14:31:55 EDT 2005

Patrick,

the trouble is that the clipping code in vtk/paraview does an
calculation of the distance of each point on the cell (8) to the box
surface - and then insterts triangles where the sign changes - this
means that along the edge, you get this rounding off artefact that you
can see where the corner of the box has been missed. The correct result
would mean creating an L shaped kind of boundary cell where the outside
was the original data and the inside was the box edge.

One strategy to get it perfect would be to extract all the cells that
intersect the clipping bos. Then add all the intersection points/edges,
do a triangulation in 3D and then remove all the cells on the iside of
the implicit function.

Messy.

JB