[vtkusers] Re: [wxPython-users] wxVTKRWI Headache

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:55:26 EDT 2005

Hi there Andrea,

On 7/14/05, andrea_gavana at tin.it <andrea_gavana at tin.it> wrote:
>     after the releases of wxPython 2.5 and above, wxVTKRWI stopped to work
> with my wxPython application. Now, after the good job that Charles has done
> on wxVTKThings, I was expecting no problems. However, now wxPython has stopped
> to work with VTK.
>
> I keep getting Windows error with the big red cross announcing that python.exe
> has crashed due to some internal error etc etc etc...

It's great that you made a small sample... I can reproduce the crash
on my Windows laptop. It shouldn't crash, but the reason that it's
doing this is because you're explicitly calling Render()s BEFORE the
window has been displayed.  If you remove the Render()s that get
called as part of your initialisation before you've Show()n any
windows, it seems to work (except that actors disappear, but I believe
that's another problem altogether).

My advice would be to follow the sequence of actions in the NEW
wxVTKRWI embedded example.  Especially look at the way that the
wxVTKRWI is now in a toplevel sizer.

At the moment I'm swamped with work, but I'll look at making
pre-Show() Render()s safe ASAP.

Good luck,
Charl

c.p.botha ||at|| ewi.tudelft.nl - tu delft work-related email
cpbotha ||at|| cpbotha.net - everything else