[vtkusers] vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter Alternatives

Scott McMillan scott at smcmillan.net
Mon Jul 11 18:12:05 EDT 2005

Hello All.

I am attempting to reconstruct a surface from an unstructured point
cloud (which does describe a surface, though with noise), and am also
very new to VTK. I'm hoping that someone might be able to suggest some
improvements to the current methods I am using, because there are some
issues.

The results I have obtained using vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter have
been very poor. I.e., the output doesn't look much like the model at all
in a lot of circumstances. I don't think this is due to anything I am
doing wrong either (though admittedly the documentation does mention
that it needs nice input data). I modified the cactus input for the
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter example in a text editor to have a single
vertex offset from its correct position, and this produced a lot of
noise all around the cactus. This makes me think that this filter is not
ever going to be useful if there is noise in the data.

I have also tried some other approaches such as using Gaussian splatter
to try and reproduce a surface, but the results have not been very
satisfactory (a bit like you would expect).

vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction seems to offer the most promise (from
http://www.sq3.org.uk/powercrust/ ) however on 200 000 points there's no
hope for my Linux machine with 1 GB of RAM to avoid a lot of swapping
due to the high memory usage (and hence very poor performance). I would
also like to be able to process data with more points than this, but
given the memory consumed for 200 000 points I have my doubts as to
whether 500 000 or so points would even fit into the amount of memory
available to a 32 bit process.

If someone could point out some alternatives to me, or even just tell me
that there are no alternatives available in VTK at the moment, that
would be very helpful to me.

Regards,
Scott McMillan.