[vtkusers] serial to parallel XML vktUnstructuredGrid converter via filenames?

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:16:33 EDT 2005

I agree.  However, I sometimes get frustrated wtih VTK's XML support.
It almost seems like they added the xml support as an afterthought and
rushed to get it done.

Before the flame war starts... I know that I could contribute to VTK
on my own to change this.  Perhaps I will some day...  For the moment,
I just want to focus my attention on finishing up my current project
asap.
anyway, here's my current workaround:
1.  load a piece of data into memory
2.  use vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter.  This saves the "pvtu" file and
the first vtu file in a series (for some reason the first vtu file has
a truncated filename... can't figure out how to control that)
3.  Delete & allocate new vtk objects
4.  Step through and load every other piece of data, saving each one
with vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter as a vtu file with the appropriate
filename

Thanks,
Pete

On 7/8/05, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, there is no utility to do this. However, writing one
> shouldn't be too hard. The .pvtu file format is very straightforward
> xml.
>
> -Berk
>
> On 7/7/05, Peter Schmitt <pschmitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there vtk functionality to create a parallel vtk xml file from
> > input of an array of serial vtk xml files?
> >
> > Motivation:  I have 3 gigs of data.  If I attempt to load all 3 gigs
> > of data and export to a vtk parallel unstructured grid (pvtu) format,
> > my program aborts because my computer runs out of memory when
> > allocating arrays to store the data (i.e. vtkPoints, vtkFloatArray,
> > etc...).  However, I have no problem exporting data in my custom
> > format to n-number of individual vtk unstructured grid files.
> >
> > I would like vtk to create a single parallel vtk unstructured grid
> > file (pvtu) which points to n-number of serial vtk unstructured grid
> > files (vtu).  I imagine that vtk might have such functionality and I
> > would like to avoid writing a custom app to do this.
> >
> > The vtk users guide doesn't point me to any such functions, and the
> > vtk book itself doesn't even have the xml formats in it.  I couldn't
> > find any such functionality via the online vtk documentation either,
> > but maybe I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Pete

Pete