[vtkusers] Help with install VTK in Mac OS X

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jul 5 13:09:36 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-05 17:08, Aurélien Vasseur said:

>I'm newbie on VTK and I try to install it in Mac OS 10.3.9 (G5). I'm
>using CMake 2.0.5 and I want to install VTK 4.2. But I get the

Why do you want to use 4.2?

>following message when I compile that I can't understand:
>
>17:01 $ sudo make install
>Building installation install...
>Running cmake script file cmake_install.cmake
>-- Installing /usr/local/include/vtk/vtkCommonInstantiator.h
>
> *SNIP*
>
>-- Installing /usr/local/include/vtk/zlibDllConfig.h
>-- Installing /usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkzlib.a
>CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
>/Users/aurelien/Library/VTK/Utilities/zlib/cmake_install.cmake:10:
>FILE cannot find file: /Users/aurelien/Library/VTK/bin/libvtkzlib.a to
>install.
>make: *** [install] Error 255
>
>Could anyone help me please?

Well, does /Users/aurelien/Library/VTK/bin/libvtkzlib.a exist?  I
suspect not.  So maybe the compilation failed?  Were there compilation
errors from the 'cmake .' step?  I found that the 4.2 and 4.4 code does
not build at all (at least on 10.4 w gcc 4) and so I am using the newest
code from CVS which, for me anyway, builds and runs fine.  I suggest you
get the code from CVS and try again.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com