[vtkusers] VTK, MacOS and X11

Jon H Kaspersen Jon.H.Kaspersen at sintef.no
Thu Jan 27 15:33:17 EST 2005

Hi again John,

Are you able to for example pop up xlogo or xclock ?

Have you tried a complete rebuild of VTK with X11 ?
Make sure that :
             OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
             OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.dylib

Regards
Jon
On Jan 27, 2005, at 5:13 PM, Johnny C. Norris II wrote:

> Thanks, I looked at the configuration, but the only difference from
> what  I tried before was that OSMesa was turned on.  I tried again
> anyway, and I still get the undefined references.  :-(
>
> X forwarding is on.  I can pop up xterms, etc.
>
> I've read that you can't run an OpenGL program on a Mac and have it
> display on another computer unless you're logged into the Mac's
> console.  Someone please tell me this isn't true.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> Jon H Kaspersen wrote:
>> Hi Johnny,
>> I have a nightly build of VTK+X11 on Mac OS X set up. You can find
>> yesterdays results here
>> http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Dashboard/20050126-0300-Nightly/
>> Dashboard.html
>> The site name is G4_Cube_X11_SINTEF
>> As you can see around 20 tests fails.
>> You'll find the build details by looking at the
>> CMakeCache.txt file
>> Are you trying to forward a X display from this
>> Mac ?
>> You might have to check that Xforwarding is ON.
>> Look at http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html
>> Regards
>> Jon
>> On Jan 27, 2005, at 12:19 AM, Johnny C. Norris II wrote:
>>     Martin Costabel wrote:
>>         Johnny C. Norris II wrote:
>>             Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the OpenGL settings
>> to:
>>             OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
>>             OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.dylib
>>             It didn't help, however. I still get exactly the same
>> errors.
>>         What is working for me (and for the Fink vtk-py23 package):
>>         OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING="-lGL"
>>         OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING="-lGLU"
>>         OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/X11R6/include
>>         This is for the released version 4.4.0, though, not for the
>>         latest from CVS.
>>     Thanks, but apparently this doesn't work anymore.
>>     Building shared library
>>
>> /Volumes/UberRaid/homes/jnorris/DEBUG/obj/VTK/bin/libvtkftgl.dylib...
>>     /usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -l-lGL
>>     /usr/bin/libtool: file: -l-lGL is not an object file (not allowed
>> in
>>     a library)
>>     make[5]: ***
>>
>> [/Volumes/UberRaid/homes/jnorris/DEBUG/obj/VTK/bin/libvtkftgl.dylib]
>>     Error 1
>>     I also tried this:
>>     OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING="GL"
>>     OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING="GLU"
>>     but got basically the same error as above.
>>     I also tried:
>>     OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
>>     OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.dylib
>>     (notice the STRING instead of FILEPATH) but I still get the
>>     unresolved symbols.
>>     John
>
> --
> John Norris
> Research Programmer
> [...]
Jon Harald Kaspersen                        Mob:	   +47 93 03 65 90
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Senior Scientist
SINTEF Helse
N-7465 Trondheim