[vtkusers] Qt and VTK, QVTKRenderWindowInteractor and key events

Patrick Brockmann Patrick.Brockmann at cea.fr
Thu Jan 27 11:17:41 EST 2005

Hi  all,

I have already posted this mail but received no answer.
As I can see some traffic about Qt and VTK, I resent this related question.

I have noticed that with the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor class
from the VTK at the interim release 4-4,
a keypress is always detected in UPPERCASE not in lowercase.

 >>> from vtk.qt.QVTKRenderWindowInteractor import *
 >>> QVTKRenderWidgetConeExample()

When press "c" for exemple, "C" is detected.
I have corrected this by a small change to the
VTK-4.4/Wrapping/Python/vtk/qt/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py file.

Line 281:
      if ev.key() < 256:
          key = chr(ev.key())
Changed into:
      if ev.key() < 256:
              key=str(ev.text())

I am using VTK at the interim release 4-4 from source
and qt from PyQt-3.8-4mdk rpm on a Linux machine (Mandrake 10.0)

Let me know if you can confirm this bug and if an official correction
can be considered.

Patrick