[vtkusers] VTK, MacOS and X11

Johnny C. Norris II jnorris at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 26 16:50:07 EST 2005

Hi,

I can't seem to get VTK to work on a Mac using X11.  Here are the
highlights:

Darwin kernel version 7.7.0
gcc 3.3 (from Apple)
Latest CMake from cvs
Latest VTK from cvs
VTK_USE_CARBON and VTK_USE_COCOA are OFF
VTK_USE_X is ON
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING=-framework OpenGL
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING=-framework AGL

The OpenGL settings are what CMake chose.

I'm trying to display to a PC with Windows 2000 and the X server that's
distributed with cygwin.

Everything compiles, but when I try to run something (GraphicsCxxTests,
for example), I get a huge number of undefined references:
dyld: bin/GraphicsCxxTests Undefined symbols:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib undefined reference to _glAccum expected to
be defined in OpenGL
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib undefined reference to _glActiveTexture
expected to be defined in OpenGL
etc etc etc

I'm not a Mac person, but I've tried this on two different up-to-date
Macs administered by different people, and I've gotten the same results.
  Is this a problem with VTK, CMake, or me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
John
--
John Norris
Research Programmer