[vtkusers] cmake gives errors when configuring vtk with visual c++ 8 2005

Alexis H. Rivera-Rios ahrivera at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 14:45:24 EST 2005

Hi,

Im trying to compile VTK with Cmake 2.0 patch 5 on a
WinXP box using Visual C++ 8 2005 Express.

When I hit the configure button, cmake starts the
configuration process and I get this error:

Check size of int:
CMake Error: Unable to find executable for
TRY_RUNC:/opt/vtk_build/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTryCompileExec.exe

If I hit ok, I still get the same error for the
following tests:
Check size long, void*, char, short, float, double,
long long, __int64
Checking signedness of char
Looking for pthread.h
Checking old streams end-of-file bug level

Then I get this other error when checking if the
system is bigendian:
CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. Some
variables were always defined by CMake in versions
prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the
cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or
less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have
already set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then you probably need to include a CMake module
to test for the feature this variable defines.

It also happens when
checking CXX include file sstream
checking support for c++ explicit template
instantiation - yes

Then I get a whole bunch of the same errors during the
configuration (no message in the status bar).

At that point, I get the cache values shown, which I
can modify... but I don't get the ok button to be
enabled.

I click on configure again, I get the same errors.

Other errors that I got when I ran cmake from the
command line are the following:
CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_SIZEOF_INT that has not been defined. Some
variables were always defined by CMake in versions
prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the
cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or
less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have
already set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then you probably need to include a CMake module
to test for the feature this variable defines.

Has anybody seen this errors trying to compile VTK?
How to I resolve this?  By the way, I try to download
the latest version of CMake to build it from scratch,
but I got the same errors trying to build cmake too.
I also tried older versions of Cmake that support
visual c++ 8 and I got the same error there too.

Thanks,
Alexis

=====
Programming Tutorial:
In Python: To do this, do this
In Perl: To do this, do this or this or this or this...
In C: To do this, do this, but be careful
In C++: To do this, do this, but don't do this, be careful of this, watch out for this, and whatever you do, don't do this