[vtkusers] OS X 10.3 and VTK Application Build

Rhazes Spell rus1 at duke.edu
Sat Jan 1 16:41:48 EST 2005

Hello-
I am a VTK (and sci vis) newbie, and  I am trying to run some of the
example code from the VTK 4.4 distribution to learn the libraries.  I
have successfully installed CMake and VTK.  Thus far, I am able to
build and run the simple Cone.cxx example successfully.  I was also
able to run the Cone example as an Objective-C++ application (Cone.mm).
  However, my initial success was from the commmand line, and eventually
I would like to program the application that I am working on in
Objective-C++ using Cocoa in XCode.  As a result, I tried to build and
run the Cone example in Xcode, but I have had no success thus far.
Specifically, I am getting the following output when I build and run:

Native Build of Target "Learning"

CompileC build/Learning.build/Learning.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Cone.o
Cone.mm normal ppc objective-c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.3_3
     mkdir -p
/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/
Learning.build/Learning.build/Objects-normal/ppc
     cd /Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning
     /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -x objective-c++ -arch ppc -pipe -Wno-trigraphs
-fasm-blocks -fpascal-strings -g -O0 -mtune=G4 -Wno-four-char-constants
-Wmost -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-unknown-pragmas -O0
-fmessage-length=0 -ffix-and-continue
-F/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build
-I/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/include
-I/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/
Learning.build/Learning.build/DerivedSources
-Wp,-header-mapfile,/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/
Learning/build/Learning.build/Learning.build/Learning.hmap -c
/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/Cone.mm -o
/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/
Learning.build/Learning.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Cone.o

Ld /Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/Learning
     cd /Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning
     /usr/bin/g++-3.3 -o
/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/Learning
-L/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build
-L/Users/rhazes/Library/Development/vtk-cocoa/bin
-L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3
-F/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build -filelist
/Users/rhazes/Projects/Development/vtk/tmp/Learning/build/
Learning.build/Learning.build/Objects-normal/Learning.LinkFileList
-framework OpenGL -lvtkRendering -lvtkGraphics -lvtkImaging
-lvtkFiltering -lvtkCommon -arch ppc
ld:
/Users/rhazes/Library/Development/vtk-cocoa/bin/
libvtkCommon.a(vtkMultiThreader.o) illegal reference to symbol:
_MPProcessors defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/
Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore

In XCode I have added the OpenGL framework and imported all of the VTK
Header files (961 in total, correct?).  Any help that you can provide
would be immensely appreciated, and I will be sure to contribute my
lessons learned back to the community.
Rhazes Spell, Ph.D.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate

Duke University
Center for Computational Science Engineering and Medicine
Visualization Technology Group

919.660.5595 (office)