[vtkusers] vtk and c#

Abhishek gattani at aktina.com
Thu Feb 17 12:14:44 EST 2005

Hello All,

I am building Visual C++ Windows Control Libraries and putting VTK specific
code and misc. logic in it. I add the control as a reference to my C#
application and hence I am able to call methods and set attributes. Imagine
the scenario I have created two windows controls. One windows control is
importing data the other control is for rendering the data. The two controls
need to communicate by exchanging an instance of vtkImageData. Since I would
be using C# I would have to declare a variable of type vtkImageData and then
pass that variable to the second control which I can't do because of
managed/unmanaged code issues. Is the answer to write a managed extension to
the class vtkImageData and use that to exchange information? Or can I simply
exchange pointer addresses using void pointers? Because both my controls run
in unmanaged environments and they can caste the received pointers to the
vtkImageData. Does anyone have any input on this issue? I want to find an
elegant and correct way to exchange vtk types between controls in a C#
environment. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

-Abhishek