[vtkusers] vtkExtractVOI and volume raycast

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Dec 22 06:05:40 EST 2005

Richard Layman wrote:

>>> I made some changes to the VolumeRendering/SimpleRayCast example.
>>> Basically what I wanted to do is to dynamically select a subvolume
>>> within a given data volume to render. I use vtkExtractVOI to get the
>>> subvolume I want and feed this to the rendering pipeline. An outline
>>> is added for reference.

I can suggest an alternative which works very well for me. I do not use
a vtkExtractVOI, but rather tell directly the mappers to do cropping. In
my application, I use three different mappers (vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D,
 vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D, and vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper) which
all support the following options:

    vm2 SetCroppingRegionFlagsToSubVolume
    vm2 SetCroppingRegionPlanes $xminslice $xmaxslice $yminslice
$ymaxslice   $zminslice $zmaxslice

the last call takes the same 6 plane indices which you are using with
your ExtractVOI.

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/Favre.php