[vtkusers] VTK/TCL/OSX-Tiger

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Dec 21 10:18:45 EST 2005

Please keep any further replies "on list" so that others can chime in if
they know what's happening faster than me... :-)

The scripts in Examples\ImageProcessing\Tcl all work for me in the
VTK-5-0 branch with the following caveats:

    * scripts should be run from a current working directory of
      Examples/ImageProcessing/Tcl
    * VTK_DATA_ROOT environment variable should point to a valid VTKData
      folder (unless VTKData is sibling of VTK source folder)
    * HistogramWidget.tcl is not meant to be a standalone script, it is
      called from Histogram.tcl
    * Histogram.tcl is only working with my Debug executable; it crashes
      when I run the Release build at the moment...

HTH,
David

Corrie Allen, Ph.D. wrote:

> Oops, on the reply I just sent (below), the examples that wouldn't
> work were in the imageprocessing examples, not the rendering
> examples.  Sorry.
>
> Cool, found the VTK executable and it works great.  But now, when I
> try to run some of the examples in /rendering, I get an error saying
> that VtkTkImageViewerWidget can't be found.  VTK was built using
> CMake with Rendering on.  And the VtkTKImageViewerWidget.cxx and .h
> files are in the rendering directory.  Is there something else I have
> to "switch" on?  Thanks.
> Corrie
>
> On Dec 19, 2005, at 5:23 AM, David Cole wrote:
>
>> Have you built VTK from source? If so, and you have VTK_WRAP_TCL  on,
>> you can use the "bin/vtk" executable as if it were wish. It  will
>> automatically load all the VTK package dylibs properly without  any
>> extra work.
>>
>> HTH,
>> David
>>
>> Corrie Allen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to learn VTK programming with TCL.  However, when I try
>>> the tutorials, I get the following messages:
>>>
>>> [CBABigMac:/] corrie# wish cone6.tcl
>>> image not found
>>> can't find package vtkCommonTCL 4.4
>>> can't find package vtkcommon 4.4
>>> Error in startup script: can't find package vtk
>>>     while executing
>>> "package require vtk"
>>>     (file "cone6.tcl" line 18)
>>>
>>> I checked the TCL auto_path and unix path but don't know if they
>>> are pointing TCL in the right direction for VTK.  And for the
>>> auto_path, I don't know where to start if I need to change it.
>>>
>>> [CBABigMac:/] corrie# wish
>>> % puts $auto_path
>>> /VTK/VTK_bin/wrapping/TCL /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
>>> Versions/8.4/Resources/Scripts /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
>>> Versions/8.4/Resources /usr/bin/../../Library/Frameworks/