[vtkusers] Using vtkCutter on a transformed model

Clare Fitzpatrick clare.fitzpatrick at ucd.ie
Wed Dec 14 15:11:47 EST 2005

Hi, I am trying to orientate a 3D model so that a particular vector is aligned with the z-axis in world coordinates.
I have tried:

vtkSTLReader model
        model SetFileName "C:/myFile"
I am applying an instance of vtkCutter to this model.

vtkCutter cutter1
cutter1 SetInput [model GetOutput]
then when I transform the model using

        modelActor RotateWXYZ angle1 0 0 1
        modelActor RotateWXYZ angle2 0 1 0

the model is transforming correctly but cutter1 is not cutting the model anymore.

When I use a transform:
vtkTransform modelTransform

vtkTransformPolyDataFilter modTransform
    modTransform SetTransform modelTransform
    modTransform SetInput [model GetOutput]

and then
cutter1 SetInput [modelTransform GetOutput]
and then transform the model using
        modelTransform RotateWXYZ angle1 0 0 1
        modelTransform RotateWXYZ angle2 0 1 0

its producing the wrong output - i think it might be using the model coordinates instead of the world ones.

Any ideas on how to set the cutter to work on the (correctly) transformed model??

Clare