[vtkusers] MultiBlock & vtkContourFilter

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:24:30 EST 2005

Takes 2 weeks and finally a non-kitware reponse.  Gotta love all that $$ we
shell out for VTK Support here...

Thanks for the tip Berk.  I finally got it to work by loading all the
outputs into vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet, and connecting my vtkContourFilter
to that.  I then did the following:

    vtkHierarchicalDataSetGeometryFilter *hdsgf =
vtkHierarchicalDataSetGeometryFilter::New();
    hdsgf->SetInputConnection(0, filter->GetOutputPort(0));

And connected the "hdsgf" to the Mapper.  This works pretty well.  But it
seems that it doesn't work for all filters.  I tried adding a
vtkArrayCalculator in the mix to compute the Vorticity Magnitude, and I kept
getting errors about input ports.  I finally had to construct 14
ArrayCalculators and load their outputs into the starting
vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet.

Should I have been able to insert the vtkArrayCalculator into the pipeline?
Is there a better way of dealing with multiblock datasets like this
(Including AMR & such)?  A more generic way that I can use across multiple
dataset formats, similar to how paravew "transparently" makes it work.

As for just using Paraview, it's not an option until the WebVis stuff is
rolled out, so a year or two.