[vtkusers] how to query vtkInformation

Matthias Langer mlangc at gmx.at
Fri Dec 9 14:37:43 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:13 +0100, Matthias Langer wrote:
> At first, i must confess that my knowlegde about vtk is very limited by
> now.
>
> However, i'm working with the vtk-5.1-cvs version and want to know what
> kind of design is suggested for dynamicaly creating rendering piplines
> like in paraview ? May vtkAlgorithm::GetInutPortInformation(...) /
> vtkAlgorithm::getOutputPortInformation(...) be of value for this kind of
> problem - and if so, how should i use them ?
>
> How should i find out which mapper object should be used at the end of
> the pipline (vtkDataSetMapper, vtkPolyDataMapper, ...) ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Matthias

Ok, i think i've now found out that Get(Input/Output)PortInformation is
what i'm looking for, as PrinSelf(...) with some enhancements gave me
results like this:

printInfo for vtkConeSource
  input ports:
    no input ports
  output ports:
    port 0 :
      Debug: Off
      Modified Time: 317
      Reference Count: 1
      Registered Events: (none)
      DATA_TYPE_NAME: vtkPolyData
      PORT_REQUIREMENTS_FILLED: 1

Now i'm intersted in finding out how to get the DATA_TYPE_NAME filed
directly by an apprpriate method call to vtkInformation. I'm trying to
find this out myself, but maybe some here can save me some time ...

Matthias