[vtkusers] newbie question: vtkPicker

Iwona i Janusz Goldasz ijmj.goldasz at interia.pl
Tue Dec 6 18:05:26 EST 2005

Dear all: I am seeking an answer regarding the vtkPicker class. I am pretty much a newcomer to the world of VTK.
In my java app, I use vtk for visualizing particle systems motion (discrete element method simulations). One particular feature
I would like to have is to be able to pick/select a specific particle with a mouse and query its present behavior/properties at a given
simulation step.

All 3D graphics is build/rendered into a vtkPanel panel object.

>From what I have learned vtkPicker would probably suit my needs - I am looking for any examples of the picker's application
regardless programming language used (c++, python, java, ???). Unless somebody could point into a different direction if there is one.

I am rewriting my code from java3D into java and vtk I had this feature implemented with my j3d application and it was quite useful.

Regards & appreciate any suggestions,
Janusz Goldasz