[vtkusers] Compiling VTK Java Bindings on Mac OS X 10.4.3

MGS crystalgaze04 at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 3 15:04:05 EST 2005

I'm trying to compile VTK on Mac OS X, and I've run
into a problem compiling the JNI bindings that I just
can't seem to figure out:

$ make
Building CXX object
Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingJava.dir/vtkRenderWindowJava.o
In file included from
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObject.h:5,
                 from
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSResponder.h:8,
                 from
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSView.h:8,
                 from
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers/jawt_md.h:11,
                 from
/Users/MGShaw/Desktop/VTK/Common/vtkJavaAwt.h:19,
                 from
/Users/MGShaw/Desktop/VTK/Rendering/vtkRenderWindowJava.cxx:1141:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObjCRuntime.h:60:
error: stray '@' in program

gcc version:  gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
build 5247)
OS:  Mac OS X Version 10.4.3 (Build 8F46)

It appears to be similar to an "extra character"
appearing in a file somewhere that is botching the
preprocessor handling of the Objective C environment.

Does anybody out there have any experience with a
similar error on Mac OS X?