[vtkusers] how to properly handle signed DICOM data

abhishek gattani abhishekg4u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:35:02 EDT 2005

Hi All,

My DICOM data is signed. When attempting to render it I get "cannot value
render data of type short, only unsigned char...". From previous posts I
understand that i can use either vtkImageShiftScale or vtkImageCast to
convert the types. However, I am not clear by how much amount should I shift
my input data? One alternative is take the minimum of the data points but
then any transfer function applied to the data will also need to be changed
dynamically because the min can vary across data sets. Other alternative is
just shift by a constant. But what should be this constant value? Any
insights would be deeply appreciated. Thanks,

Cheers,
Abhi