[vtkusers] Need help displaying a texture over an isosurface

Shachar Arieli shachara at visionsense.com
Wed Aug 24 10:01:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to display a texture over an isosurface extracted from a CT
scan. The texture is a BMP of the same surface taken using a video
camera.

My goal is to display the BMP semi transparent over the surface
extracted from the CT scan. The BMP needs to be registered to the
surface, which I want to do manually. The easiest way for me to do this
is to make the texture semi transparent and static. At the same time
place the surface behind it and move the camera so that only the surface
is affected, until I find the best registration.

I am thinking about the following approaches:

1) Render the surface in one window, and use vtkWindowToimageFilter and
a blending filter to display the current rendering blended with the
texture in another window.

2) use 2 different renderers in the same window (one for surface, and
the other for texture). The texture renderer has to be semi transparent
(not sure this is possible), and the camera will move only in the
surface renderer.

3) Use 2 actors (one for surface, and one for texture). On this option
when I move the camera both the texture and the surface move together.
can I add a transformation filter to the surface?

Since I am new to vtk I am not sure I am not missing some simple
solution. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Shachar