[vtkusers] Fwd: [vtk-developers] Deprecation questions

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 09:50:57 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I would like to know what you think about potentially deprecating a few classes:

In VTK/Parallel:

* vtkThreadedController and vtkSharedMemoryCommunicator (not to be confused with
vtkMultiThreader): These were created as part of the parallel VTK extension a
few years ago. They are not well maintained (hence buggy) and as far as I know
unused.

* vtkInputPort and vtkOutputPort: Again two classes that are part of the
parallel extensions. They allow pipelines to span networks. As nice as it
sounds, they are not implemented well and not maintained well. They were used in
writing a paper but have fallen out of use since.

Unless there are any objections, I will remove these classes before we branch
for 5.0.

In VTK/Filtering:

Also, we are planning to deprecate vtkStructuredPoints. It will be in 5.0 but
will print a warning when constructed. The warning can be suppressed with a
compile option. vtkStructuredPoints is an empty subclass of vtkImageData and has
no reason to exist anymore.

-Berk