[vtkusers] Problems with vtkWin32Header.h (I think)

Matthew D. DiFranco m.difranco at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 12:53:24 EDT 2005

I have just started looking at a program that uses VTK, and I am new
to it. I am trying to compile the program as is on Windows XP in
Visual C++ 6.0 using VTK 4.2. VTK compiles without a problem, but
when I go to compile the code, I get the following error:

'vtkResampleSurface Filter uses undefined class VTK_HYBRID_EXPORT'

and a few others like it, followed by a whole bunch of errors related
to that one. Having done some investigation, I've discovered that
this error is due to the following class definition:

class VTK_HYBRID_EXPORT vtkResampleSurfaceFilter : public
vtkPolyDatatoPolyDataFilter

Upon further searching, I discovered that the rogue VTK_HYBRID_EXPORT
is a macro defined in vtkWin32Header.h which should translate to
__declspec(dllexport) or __declspec(dllimport), depending on the
existence of the vtkHybrid_EXPORTS flag.

 From my searching on the MSDN, I have discovered that the __declspec
business has to do with importing and exporting to and from dll's. I
don't really understand that stuff, but I'd really like to figure out
how to get my program to recognize the existence of this macro
definition so that it will compile. Anybody know what needs to happen?

Matt