[vtkusers] Java VTK Windows Error

Richard Haney cosmoh2o at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:03:31 EDT 2005

Please Help,

I am trying to compile the test.java file on Windows XP using j2sdk1.4.0 and
VTK and have run into a problem.

I downloaded and installed vtk-4.2-LatestRelease.zip and used CMake (latest
version) to build the files. I set the configurations for CMakeSetup to be
VTK_WRAP_JAVA=ON, VTK_USE_HYBRID=ON, VTK_USE_RENDERING=ON, and
VTK_SHARED_LIBS=ON. I then used MS Visual C++ 6.0 to load the resulting
project file VTK.dsw. Once loaded via msdev, I selected ALL_BUILD project
and built the VTK. The build seemed to go well, the vtk.jar file was
created.

The problem occurs when I try and compile test.java I get an error saying
that the "import vtk.* package can't be found". I did a search on my system
for "vtkjava.dll" and could not find this file.

A snippet of info from "ALL_BUILD.html" reveals the following:
--------------------Configuration: VTKJavaJar - Win32
Debug--------------------

Command Lines
Build : warning : failed to (or don't know how to) build
'C:\VTK\bin\vtk.jar.rule'

Creating temporary file "C:\TMP\RSP99E.bat" with contents
[
@echo off
C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\jar.exe -cvf C:/VTK/bin/vtk.jar -C C:/VTK/java vtk
]

Has anyone out there ran into this problem before, and if so how did you
resolve it?

Many Thanks to anyone who has an idea as to why this problem is occurring.

Thanks,