[vtkusers] Install question (can't seem to load vtkCommonPython.dll)

Nathan Heazlett nheazlett at breakawaygames.com
Tue Apr 26 17:10:34 EDT 2005

I ran the install script here: C:\Program Files\vtk42\Wrapping\Python
And vtkCommonPython.dll is located here: C:\Program Files\vtk42\bin

The install script seems to have copied a bunch of .py files into here:
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\vtk_python
(which is also in my PYTHONPATH)

Is it possible that using Python 2.3 is causing problems? I have tried to
run vtkpython, and it complained about not being able to find python21.dll.

The README.txt has this to say:

    (3) Installation via distutils to a directory different from the
    VTK_ROOT directory.  The file VTK_ROOT/Wrapping/Python/setup.py is
    a distutils script that should install VTK-Python correctly.  It
    should work under *nix, Win32 and possibly other platforms.

Which is what I thought I did. An alternate approach would be:

      Similar to the Unix approach, set your PATH to point to the
      directory that contains the VTK DLL's and the PYTHONPATH to the
      directory that contains the Wrapping/Python directory and the
      DLL's.  Note that under Win32 the directory containing the DLL's
      is in a sub-directory of LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH.  The sub-directory
      is one of Release, Debug, MinSizeRel or RelWithDebInfo.

Which doesn't seem to work either.

.nathan