[vtkusers] Debuggin VTK code

vidyadhar vidyadhar at lucidindia.net
Mon Apr 18 00:02:59 EDT 2005

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the hint. What worked for me is as follows.

I created the VTK projects and solution for VC++ 7 using CMake and build the solution with DEBUG information. This places references to debug database files in each DLL. Copied these DLLs into the VTK binaries folder which is on Windows' search path so that runtime loads these DLLs. Created a project for application which uses VTK. In this solution, there is no need to add the VTK projects created by CMake. Developed my application as usual. As such if I run this in IDE, I cannot step into the VTK code. To be able to do so needs telling the debugger where to find debug information (as you indicated). In project properties, select 'Debugging' page. Under 'Action' there is an entry for 'Symbol Path'. Here one can give comma delimited list of folders where debugger should search for additional symbol files. I added reference to the folder (bin\debug where the VTK CMake solution is built). Once I do this, I am able to step into the VTK code.
Hope this will be useful for others too.
Vidyadhar