[vtkusers] Any alternative to vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeRayCastMapper

jiksed jiksed at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 15:19:01 EDT 2005

Hi vtkusers,

I have a 3D volume data in an unstructured grid with irregular surface topography. My first
 instinct is to use vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeRayCastMapper to do the volume rendering. The
 problem is that this volume mapper is extremely slow and the wireframe-type mesh is visible
in the volume image (please see the attachment). My questions would be:

1) Is there any way to speed it up?
2) How can I make the image more smooth without showing the underline wireframe?
3) Is there any alternative to vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeRayCastMapper? I really need an
ImageData so I may manipulate the volume opacity and use the ImagePlaneWidget.

One way I can think of is to use vtkShepardMethod to transform vtkUnstructuredGrid into
vtkImageData in a rectangular box. My data is inside an irregular volume like human head.
Now how do I "get rid of" excessive volume to expose my irregular surface topography? How
do I manipulate the output of vtkShepardMethod? By setting a small MaximumDistance, some
points may end up with NullValues but not those points close to the outer surface of my data
volume. I am kind of lost here.

Thank you for any suggestions.