[vtkusers] vtkRenderLargeImage and 2D Objects

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:32:49 EDT 2005

I'm having this same problem and looking for a solution. When I render a
large image with a vtkTextActor for a title, and a vtkScalarBarActor for a
legend, the title text and ScalarBar wind up repeated in every tile. Is
there any (simple, built-in) solution for this that is suitable for 2D
overlaid elements?

On Apr 4, 2005 12:44 PM, Kent Eschenberg <eschenbe at psc.edu> wrote:

> "--On 4/4/05 10:57:27 AM <andrew at artwork.com> wrote:
> > David,
> > Thanks for your response. Bear with me, but I do not
> > understan this part of your response:
> >>Try using a vtkImageActor to display the output of a
> >> jpeg reader as an element of a 3D scene.
>
> If I may jump in ... 3D objects pass through the OpenGL projection matrix
> which can be used to easily change the scale and offset of the 3D scene.
> vtkRenderLargeImage uses this to build up the large image.
>
> 2D objects go around this matrix and are displayed more or less directly.
> This adds a little speed and provides a nice one-to-one relationship
> between 2D object pixels and display pixels. I supose vtkRenderLargeImage
> could have been written to also deal with 2D objects -- but it wasn't.
>
> David's suggestion moves your 2D objects over to the 3D world where they
> will be scaled and offset along with the other 3D objects. You might see a
> tiny difference at the pixel level of detail.
>
> Kent

Randall Hand
http://www.yeraze.com