[vtkusers] Ongong woes building vtk on Mac OSX

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Wed Sep 29 15:42:04 EDT 2004

>   Also ... and of possible help to you ... If you are linking static
> objects into a dynamic library, you will likely need to compile your
> static objects as "position independent" or "relocatable" objects.
> Depending on your compiler, this just means adding '-fPIC', '-KPIC',
> etc. to the compiler flags.

You are right. I must confess that I don't really know the rationale
anymore about why we chose the solution we chose back then (it might
also just have been a 'it looks like it works now, so lets not touch it
anymore' solution). Anyway we also have a patch that we apply to the
Python package for Mac OS X.
I will have to dig into it a bit more to figure out if what we did was
actually the proper way to do it, but somehow we were able to create a
working version of VTK(X11)/Python/wxPython(Gtk) in the end.

If you want to have a look at the build system/patches/etc. for our
application, you can download it for free from our website
<http://www.science-and-technology.nl/beat/>. You should get the
visan-1.0.0.tar.gz from the download section. This file contains the
appropriate sources for Python/VTK/wxPython/etc. and an automatic build
system. The Python patch I mentioned is located in the
'packages/patches' directory and the build options we use for building
Python can be found in the python.mk file.

And for Mathieu:

On woensdag, sep 29, 2004, at 20:27 Europe/Amsterdam, Mathieu Malaterre
wrote:

> Could someone confirm that vtkpython doesn't work on MacOSX then ?

It does seem to work for us (using VTK4.4 and X11).

Best regards,
Sander